Monday, May 30, 2011

Chris, Chris & Lee (1970)

This nice and gentle folk album with some christian vibes was self released by Chris Dunn, Chris Smith and Lee Paul. The instrumentation is exclusively accoustic, no percussion, just guitar, bass and at times banjo and piano. Side 1 contains original material with the strong opener followed by "Thank You", an upbeat number with successful vocal harmonies. The other highlight is the delicate "Wish You Were Here" that nearly touches the Simon & Garfunkel territory (Thankfully they get a grip on themselves and instead of a corny result it turned out as a laid-back melancholic number). The flip side consists throughout of covers. Noteworthy is their version of CSN's "Helplessly Hoping" and Tim Hardin's "If I Were A Carpenter". I can't think what came over these guys for doing "This Guy's In Love With You" but this is one of the few lowpoints. On balance not a record to freak you out but something special for a pleasant evening.

Tracklist:
- Flying Bird
- Thank You
- The Pink Song
- Wish You Were Here
- Once
- Helplessly Hoping
- Lalena
- If I Were A Carpenter
- California Dreamin'
- This Guy's In Love With You
- Samson

Personnel:
Chris Dunn
Chris Smith
Lee Paul
[Reid Lancaster (bs)]

Band origin:
US

Discographie:
Albums:
1. Chris, Chris & Lee (CC & L Records) 1970

Get it here (Artwork included / vinyl rip)

Listen to Thank You

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely loving this album - thanks!

Anonymous said...

thanks. really appreciate this sort of music.

take care. Leno

Tatesky said...

Hey! Tatum here.
I'm from Storage Locker Records (http://toastedcornflakes.blogspot.com/)

I was wondering if you would be willing to sell us this album?

Let us know!

Thanks!
Tatum & Reid,
Storage Locker Records

Buffalo Billycan said...

Hi Tatum,

I'm not selling ANY of my albums. Even the shitty ones means a lot to me. Besides, the CC&L-album was a present from my girlfriend. I think you will understand that.

Tatesky said...

Totally not a problem! Reid & I are quite the same, we take pride in our collection and refuse to sell or trade any of ours either. I think your Chris, Chris and Lee is much like my Denise Klahn album, it's one of those ones you would never ever give up no matter what someone offered you :)

Anyways, thanks for the response!
Sincerely Tatum,
Storage Locker Records

(P.S. We added your site to our recommended sites list)